Secure phone

Eric Blossom eb at comsec.com
Mon Oct 6 13:02:19 PDT 1997

>> In addition, to keep life even more interesting, prior to exchanging
>> the public exponentials g^x and g^y, commitments (hashes) to those
>> values are exchanged...  If the commitments don't match the final
>> values, the protocol terminates.
>
>I can't see that this prevents MITM either.
>
>Eve, the attacker, just sends commitments to the values she would have
>sent in performing the MITM were there no commitments.

What the commitment prevents is a birthday attack on the verification
code by Mallet.  Mallet has to be able to come up with a g^x' that
when concatenated with g^y and hashed computes the same verification
code as g^x concatenated with g^y and hashed.

Exchanging commitments to g^x and g^y prior to sending g^x and g^y
severely constrain the the degree of freedom that Mallet has to work
with.  (Another option that works the same way is the "interlock"
protocol, where each side sends half the message (g^x or g^y) and
doesn't send the second half until after receipt of the first half
from the other end).

>Say (for example) if someone smuggled me one of your phones, and I
>called up Tim.  The only protection I'd have is recognizing Tim's
>voice after hearing him speak breifly years ago.  (American accents
>sound similar to me).

None of this is designed to provide authentication of the end point.
It is designed to ensure that you've got a private channel to the end
point.

>On the other hand, using persistent key public key crypto, Tim has
>been signing his posts recently, and I have an ancient public key of
>his stashed away which his new key is signed with.  If we were able to
>construct a protocol to bolt on top of the reading of hashes, we could
>have much greater protection against MITM.

Agreed.  The primary difficulty is getting the public keys into the
unit.  And agreeing on what kind of certificate to use...
My preference (for patent reasons) would be to use DSA or ElGamal
signatures.

Eric