FOCUS [was Re: New PGP "Everything the FBI ever dreamed of"]

Attila T. Hun attila at hun.org
Sun Oct 5 20:11:10 PDT 1997

    attila in --with both feet.

    starting with the premise that a corporation has a fundamental
    legal right to review all work and communications of any employee,
    and "acknowledging" that the employer is virtually required to
    maintain access to documentation to service the regulations of the
    government, the courts, and the LEAs, the issue is simply HOW?

    1.  I personally include my own public key in every encrypted
        message --if I consider the contents important enough to
        warrant encrypting, not just signing, I consider it important
        enough not to maintain a plaintext copy.

    2.  If I consider the contents more than just important -eg:
        critical, I use one of my unpublished public keys for the
        file copy. this version, including the encryption software
        and key library, are kept on a separate ZIP disk from the
        standard version ZIP disk.

        as a matter of reference, all temporary space is maintained on
        the ZIP drive.

    the major insecurity is the swap space which is maintained on a
    separate partition which is fully purged at boot time --which is not
    often enough.  I have written secure swappers, or maybe I should say
    secure except for the transitory time the information may have been
    swapped out.  this can be made further secure by preventing swap for
    the encryption engine if the system permits it, or even better, use
    semiconductor memory which leaves no magnetic media residuals to be
    analyzed 500 levels down by the Feds.

    From a mechanical standpoint there is no difference when you
    apply the same methods to the corporate environment. Again, the
    issue is HOW it is implemented.

    1.  if a corporate entity uses a single private-public keypair
        for each and every employee, that is their own stupidity as
        this is insecure, both internal and external. Too many hands on
        the private key.

    2.  ideally, each employee should be given a separate corporate
        public key. at the very least the key can represent a department
        or work group.

    3.  using the scenario in 2, specific projects can use a second
        corporate key which permits group leader management control.

    Therefore:

    Is this GAK?                    unfortunately, yes.

    By tolerating the use of        unfortunately, yes.
    corporate GAK are we setting
    ourselves up to accept
    personal GAK?

    why?                            individuals will be desensitized
                                    to defending the absolute
                                    importance of maintaining our
                                    Constitutional rights, what few
                                    the Supreme Court has not yet
                                    denigrated.

    can we avoid this result?       YES!

    GAK for businesses is a slam dunk, eg: if business has it, LEA,
    etc. can get it. desensitization can be minimized by pressuring
    professional associations to keep the issue of _personal_ privacy
    on the hot burner; this is the only issue.

    our mission must be to keep the fire out front so Americans will
    not stand for the total loss of privacy, etc. that F[reeh,uck] is
    hawking to our government; F[reeh,uck] sings the siren song of
    anti-terrorism, anti-anarchy, and all that good stuff government
    wants to suppress in violation of the Constitution.

    if the general public is fully aware of the implication, there
    is a chance to lead the rabble with the the chant:

        hell no, we wont dump our crypto!

    Now that the NYTimes has seen the light and is joining the battle
    against the forces of encryption denial, the mainstream press may
    make some effort in the cause, but we must keep the pressure on
    high.

    CDT, EPIC, and the rest of them are funded by business, big
    business, all of whom have a vested interest in selling product.
    they are the employers of the inside-the-beltway whores ...pardon
    me: lobbycritters; and they will compromise our individual rights in
    the corporate interests of the almighty dollar; in fact, corporate
    managers and beancounters will violate the privacy of their
    employees faster than the US spooks, both on and off the job --they
    have little if any concept of personal Constitutional privacy rights

        corporate officers are clueless on personal privacy.

    we face a two edged sword.

    if we encourage the expanded use of encryption in business, it will
    spread much more readily to the private sector --knowing full well
    the corporate users will be subjected to GAK.

    If business units are smart, they will implement the multi-target
    encryption and fight like hell against what F[reeh,uck] really
    wants: on-the-fly, real-time trapdoor cleartext --just like clipper.
    If F[reeh,uck] gets what he wants, why should he ask a court for
    approval to decrypt when he can already glean the information in
    the same way POTS taps are real time.

    if we rant and rave against the multi-public key encryption system,
    we risk facing the far more Draconian demands of F[reeh,uck].  The
    multi-public key system has been in use since the first time the
    ability to use multi-keys for multi-recipients was included.

    there is nothing we can do in the courts to prevent corporations
    processing encrypted mail through servers for verification, or even
    content scanning.  business has this right --unfortunately, the
    government can compel the business to exercise this "right" and
    therefore government potentially does have real-time access.

    THE FOCUS:

    All efforts need to be directed to prevent the inclusion of
    master keys in hardware and/or software and the mandating of
    universal usage of the government system.  there is little
    difference in what F[reeh,uck] is proposing and Clipper --and
    the same arguments can challenge F[reeh,uck] and friends.

    Let's not waste time hashing and rehashing business practices we
    have long since been forced to accept; and stay away from politics:

        FOCUS on our Constitutional rights.

    death is inevitable --an action we all face; some things are worth
    dying early defending  --my personal privacy rights and the sanctity
    of my intellectual processes or whatever I wish to cogitate or
    regurgitate is one of them. For the masses:

        '54-40 OR FIGHT'

    or any number of us will die martyrs;

    STAND UP AND BE COUNTED;

    dont be government wimps, snitches, and shills like Hallam-Baker.

        attila on the way out

 "attila" 1024/C20B6905/23 D0 FA 7F 6A 8F 60 66 BC AF AE 56 98 C0 D7 B0