Stronghold

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sun Oct 5 05:30:45 PDT 1997

In <343b60e7.102167602 at 128.2.84.191>, phelix at vallnet.com writes:

}On 5 Oct 1997 00:21:33 -0500, nobody at REPLAY.COM (Anonymous) wrote:
}
}>
}>John Young wrote:
}>> Dimitri:
}>> Perhaps this is unfair, but it now appears that you are using
}>> the disputed censorship issue to cloud your reluctance, or
}>> inability, to substantiate a fault in Stronghold.
}>
}>Unless C2Net publicly announces that Dimitri is free to post
}>anything he chooses about C2Net and the software they produce,
}>without threat of lawsuit or prosecution, then it is patently

A "public announcement" by the proven liars at C2 doesn't constitute a
release from liability and wouldn't do much, legally, to protect Vulis
from harrassment lawsuits. C2 can turn around and sue Vulis anyway.

"So, I lied. Again." - Sameer

}>unfair to castigate him for failing to share whatever information
}>he may have in regard to their product.
}>Like it or not, C2Net has declared that the integrity of their
}>product is dependent upon men with guns who have the power to
}>take people before the inquisitors, squelching all intimations
}>of weakness or impropriety in the design of their product.
}>
}
}Use the remailers.  That's what they're there for.  Am I being overly
}simplistic here?

If someone other than Vulis (me, for instance) published the Stronghold
backdoor (widely known by now) via an anonymous remailer, then Sameer
Parekh could still sue Vulis for having discovered it first, or to
"make example" of him, and to intidimate other security experts who
are aware of Stronghold's many holes.

For example, Sandy Sandfort, Parekh's marketing director, wrote to Vulis:

}       ... we'll slap a libel suit across your emigrant ass, take back
}your green card, deport you and tell Russia that you called Yeltsin a
}cocksucker ...

C2 is obviously deperate to suppress the information that's already known to
an increasing number of people in the field. Their threats against Vulis may
be one of the reasons why none of the security experts, who confirmed the
presense of serious security flaws in Stronghold, are saying much about this.

The BackdoorMonger