Stronghold

Anonymous anon at anon.efga.org
Thu Oct 2 15:39:08 PDT 1997

>> C2Net was wrong to censor the cypherpunks list in the guise of
>> moderation.  It was wrong to send threatening letters to people who
>> claimed its products were weak.  The whole moderation/censorship
>> experiment was a terrible mistake.  The actions taken by C2Net were
>> completely unjustified.
>
>Where do people get these bizarre ideas? C2 didn't censor the list. A
>guy who happened to work for C2 dropped some messages from one
>list. The messages still went out on the unfiltered list. Had he
>worked for Mc Donald's or the the NYC Sanitiation Department, would
>you blame them for this as well?

C2 employees informally mentioned libel suits to several cypherpunks,
such as Tim May.  Given that a good percentage of the company, perhaps
a majority, was involved with this incident, it seems reasonable to
judge the character of the company based on these actions.

This incident changed my view of C2 considerably.  Initially I held
them in the highest regard.  No longer.

(Your employment by C2 should have been mentioned in your post.  Many
people on the list may not know about it.  It is relevant.)