Moderated vs. Unmoderated Lists

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Nov 25 10:09:17 PST 1997

At 8:45 AM -0700 11/25/97, Anonymous wrote:
>> [ok, there we go again... this will be my last post on the subject which
>> is way-off topic by now. If it wasn't for the reference to Vichy I
>> wouldn't answer on the list]
>
>There is no such thing as an off topic post on the new cypherpunks list,
>at least according to Tim May and Monty Cantsin.  Whatever interests them
>is automatically on-topic.

Notice I chose not to debate Jim Choate in gory detail about his
interpretation of the origins of the world wars...I limited my comment to
my early comment, that the U.S. has not been in any legitimate wars for
nearly two centuries.

This has crypto anarchy relevance in that strong crypto will undermine the
ability of the U.S. government to fight foreign wars and engange in foreign
entanglements. How this will happen should be obvious.

Yes, I talk about what interests me. A single essay I _write_ represents my
views. I avoid cc:ing the list with forwarded stuff from Yahoo, as some are
wont to do.

Thus, I feel no guilt about writing some essay or article on something of
interest to me.

The Cypherpunks list is NOT moderated, and has no official charter. In the
last few years, many have left because what they really wanted to talk
about were job-related crypto questions, or SET, or Mondex, or elliptic
curve systems, and they didn't want to hear about the political
implications, the FBI actions, the effects on currencies, etc.

Thus were the lists "coderpunks" and "cryptography" born. Both are
moderated by their owners, and hence Anonymous may be happier spending his
or her time on one or both of these lists.

And there are several other "owned" lists out there.

Me, I don't like someone announcing that my essay is "off-topic," or
mentions some forbidden topic. So I stay off those owned lists.

It works for me.

--Tim May