Seeing Both Sides

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Nov 23 20:22:34 PST 1997

At 2:01 PM -0700 11/23/97, Robert Hettinga wrote:
><Nice to see I'm back out of TCM's killfile. He apparently figured out he
>can run, etc.>

A red herring. I last had Hettinga in my filter file about a year ago,
after his "Watching the MacRubble Bounce" eruption and aftermath. It is
true that I usually just glance at your posts and then hit the D
key....it's tough to extract meaning out of strings of expressions like:

"The ganglia twitch... don't forget to swallow your milk before you read
this....Don't want to blow it all out your nose... Er, thanks. I think.
Makes me sound like an ibogaine-crazed Barbie doll with an AK... :-)....
<BudLightMan> I *Love* you man...</BLM>... Ooops. I am. I do. With e$pam, I
mean. Well -- never mind. Can I, um, backpedal that?... So, boys and
girls,... Ooops. Sorry. Heh... Lost my train of thought... Vinnie saying to
him (YANC), in effect, we need him (YANC) for a proper Laying-On of Hands,
him being a Piece of the True Crypto Cross, and all.... The ganglia, um,
twitch... Thanks to the e$ e$lves... (at 360lbs soaking wet, *I* should
talk...)... Now, where *is* that "kick me" sign... Ding! You rang? Welcome
to Random Acts of Kindness, Inc. Our motto: "You never know when we're
going to make your day!"..."

(These are just a few of the Bobisms out of my "H-Files."

This weird mix of "Alice's Restaurant" and "Fear and Loathing on the Road
to Las Vegas" styles is incomprehensible to me. Maybe it makes sense to
Bob's intended audience...maybe to Guy Kawasaki and other such hucksters.

What nuggets of truth Bob uncovers are usually buried in mountains of
florid rhetoric. More than anything, he needs to get back on his Ritalin,
or whatever he takes for his ADD, and

>Finally, as far as code is concerned -- or even *talking* about
>cryptographic technology and what it can do anymore -- the irony of what
>*you* do all day, Tim, versus what Vinnie does, is of course, rather
>immense.

Yet another claim that I am not doing enough for the Cause, or at least
that Bob's friend Vinnie is doing ever so much more. (Knowing Vinnie,
however slightly, I imagine he must find this hero worship by Bob a bit
unseemly.)

--Tim May