Report on UN conference on Internet and racism

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Wed Nov 19 16:11:55 PST 1997

Brian Daniels writes:

> This is going way off topic at this point, and I am at fault for starting
> it.  I was just distressed at how rapidly this list seems to be turning
> towards hate and bigotry.  Lets take it to email.

Presumably by "this list" you are referring to the fight-censorship list,
and not the cypherpunks list (your message was distributed to both).
The cypherpunks list has been well established as an outpost of hate
and bigotry for some time.

About a year ago, influential cypherpunk Tim May turned away from the
previous emphasis on cryptography and privacy, towards a new approach
emphasizing guns, violence, killing, exclusionary rhetoric, and crude
racist humor.  New members have become active who apparently find these
topics more accessible than the arcane cryptographic technicalities
discussed in the past.  You no longer need a good mind to read the
cypherpunks list; today, a strong stomach is more important.