PGP 5.5 Freeware

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Nov 19 10:42:02 PST 1997

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 07:42:57 -0800
To: thomassr at erols.com
From: Will Price <wprice at pgp.com>
Subject: PGP 5.5 Freeware
Cc: mac-crypto at vmeng.com
Sender: <mac-crypto at vmeng.com>

Yes, a freeware version of 5.5 for Mac and Win32 will be available later
today from the PGP, Inc. website.  Since Linux 5.5 isn't ready yet, we're
distributing source for diffs between PGP 5.0i b8 up to the final 5.0 UNIX
release.  Meanwhile, all the source to the Win32 and Mac versions of 5.5.2
is about to go to press.

The version number of the freeware going up today is 5.5.2 as we've had a
couple free updates since the main release of 5.5 Business Security.  The
freeware version contains information on exactly what the differences are
between the Freeware, Personal Privacy, and Business Security editions of
the product.

-Will

At 2:48 AM -0800 11/19/97, Tom Vier wrote:
>> PGP 5.5 is available now, is fully compatible with MacOS 8.X, and has
>> orders of magnitude more features and speed than FileCrypt.
>
>is there going to be a freeware version? what about source for
>linux systems?

Will Price, Architect/Sr. Mgr.
Pretty Good Privacy, Inc.
555 Twin Dolphin Dr, Ste.570
Redwood Shores, CA 94065
Direct (650)596-1956
Main   (650)572-0430
Fax    (650)631-1033
Pager  (310)247-6595
wprice at pgp.com
Internet Text Paging: <mailto:1333485 at roam.pagemart.net>
<pgpfone://clotho.pgp.com>
<http://www.pgp.com>

PGPkey: <http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5797A80B>

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>