[cpe:4707] Re: Exporting crypto from Japan

Joichi Ito jito at eccosys.com
Tue Nov 18 21:58:43 PST 1997

At 21:21 97/11/18 -0700, Tim May wrote:
> At 4:43 PM -0700 11/16/97, Joichi Ito wrote:
>
> >who also have domestic political strength. Also, I looked into the
"Chobetsu"
> >that you refered to in a previous message and I think you are refering
to the
> >"Naikaku Chosashitsu Betsushitsu" which is the group that engages in the
often
> >rather shady "super-legal" actions like stamping out political parties and
> >going after cults. I don't think they have any direct involvement in the
> >current
> >RSA issue and I wouldn't call them "Japan's NSA." They are more like some
> >kind of secret police. (I can already image the kind of messages I'm
going to
> >receive on this list for engaging with you at this level of dialog, but for
>
> As I said earlier, Richelson's comprehensive study of foreign intelligence
> agencies describes it as Chobetsu, as does Hersh. Perhaps there is an issue
> of transliteration here?

Tim... Interesting. It sounds like the same organization I am talking about,
but I didn't know it was part of the defense force. I will ask a few experts
and back back to you if I find out more.

Maybe I'll give them a call. ;-)

 - Joi

--
PGP Key: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2D9461F1
PGP Fingerprint: 58F3 CA9A EFB8 EB9D DF18  6B16 E48D AF2A 2D94 61F1