e$: Snakes of Medusa on Wall Street? (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Tue Nov 18 17:41:18 PST 1997

Forwarded message:

> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:10:17 -0500
> From: Robert Hettinga <rah at shipwright.com>
> Subject: Re: e$: Snakes of Medusa on Wall Street? (fwd)

> At 3:14 pm -0500 on 11/18/97, Jim Choate shows the benefits of being on the
> top of a CDR address stack :-) :
>
> > Um, I believe that went from the late 1500's to the early 1700's at best.
>
> Nope. Check it out. As defined in any decent book of American history,
> well, maybe one that hasn't been too "revised" :-),  the "Great Awakening",
> which gave us most of our American-flavored religions, happened in the
> early part of the 19th century, though rumblings started shortly after the
> revolution.

I did a little web-search (still being at work and deprived of my library)
but what I can find clearly indicates the 'Great Awakening' was fininished
by the mid to late 1750's. Most of the sources that I found from Alta Vista
give the beginning of the Great Awakening as the late 1600's to early
1700's.

While I clearly put the beginning of the movement too early (I always get
this confused with the beacon on the hill jive) all the evidence that I
can gather shows that it did *not* extend into any part of the 1800's.
As I understood the movement it didn't survive the American War of
Indipendance.

I used Alta Vista and search terms of 'great' & 'awakening'.

   |    The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there   |
   |    be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.       |
   |                                       -Alan Greenspan-             |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |