RTFM-709

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Mon Nov 17 19:15:07 PST 1997

Jason wrote:
> Information Server wrote:
> > For information on the interception of plaintext email,
> > send a reply to this message, with an empty message body
> > and with a subject line -- "RTFM-709".

Jason,
  I have attached a file which includes some of the responses
sent to "Information Server <toto at sk.sympatico.ca>", as well
as a post to the list, apparently from David E. Smith, the
remailer operator at Bureau42, giving the 'correct' address
of the non-existent 'Information Server' supposedly at
Sympatico...and, as a special bonus, a post to the list,
purportedly from you, thanking 'Dave' for the information.

  You are a victim of your own misplaced faith in the great god
known as WYSIWYG. (What you see, is what you get. -- NOT!)
  If I _am_ <toto at sk.sympatico.ca>, then you have the satisfaction
of knowing that if I suffer a serious regression into my former
violent, psychotic delusional state, that the proper authorities
will likely be able to track me down and prosecute me for you
bizarre, sadistic murder.
  If I am _not_ <toto at sk.sympatico.ca>, well...

  Regardless, whether you are seeking information on email interception
or home-study on how to committ bizarre sex acts with farm animals,
your interest in this information is known to both whomever you send
your request to, as well as everyone who you reply to in regard to
offered information, as well as everyone that the recipients share
your email with _and_ anyone who manages to access the email accounts
or systems of _all_ of the forementioned.
  Since both your real and forged corresponedence has already gone
to private email accounts, public mailing lists, and perhaps to
USENET and beyond, I think you can see the advisability of using
encryption to limit access to the plaintext of your message to
only those you specifically encrypt the message to.

  You may not care if the whole world knows that you want information
on email interception, or even about your fondness for farm animals,
but there are undoubtedly things which you would rather keep between
yourself and the intended recipient.
  If a real 'Information Server' had a verifiable Public Key for
you to encrypt your reply to, then it would not likely matter if you
sent the message to a spoof address, as unknown recipients could
not likely read it. The same applies to your friends, relatives and
bussiness acquaintances. If you use encryption for those things
which are important for you to keep private, then you do not have
to worry as much if they share an email account, computer or system
with friends, family, coworkers or strangers.

  The 'spoof' I did was neither technically complicated nor even
particularly clever. On the other hand, there are a plethora of
people in existence who are both clever _and_ skilled at poking
their noses in wherever they want and doing whatever they like
with the information.

Sincerely,
Louis J. Freeh  (aka TruthMonger)
Director  (aka Lunatic)
Federal Bureau of Investigation  (aka Electronic Forgery Foundation)
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/xenix
"WebWorld & the Mythical Circle of Eunuchs"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/webworld
"InfoWar"
http://bureau42.base.org/public/infowar3
"The Final Frontier"