Clinton on Forces of Destruction and Illicit Arms

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 15 17:17:52 PST 1997

Excerpt from the President's remarks to the Democratic National
Committee in Sacramento this afternoon:

             But the most likely problems -- there are a couple
little babies in this audience, or there were today, and some
children -- the most likely problems these children will face
when they come of age will be problems that cross national
borders -- terrorism, organized crime and drug running, the
spread of weapons of mass destruction, chemical and biological
weapons and maybe small-scale nuclear weapons.

             This much nuclear cake put in a bomb would do ten
times as much damage as the Oklahoma City bomb did.

             The spread of environmental problems or diseases
across national lines -- we are going to have to, in other words,
find ways to cooperate, to keep the organized forces of
destruction that are taking advantage of the Internet, the
technological revolution, the freedom of travel and the freedom
of movement, access to computers and moving money around and all
that -- there will always be organized forces of destruction.

             That is fundamentally what is at stake in the stand
off we're having in Iraq today.  I don't want you to look at this
backward through the prism of the Gulf War and think it's a
replay.  I want you to look at it forward and think about it in
terms of the innocent Japanese people that died in the subway
when the saran gas was released; and how important it is for
every responsible government in the world to do everything that
can possibly be done not to let big stores of chemical or
biological weapons fall into the wrong hands, not to let
irresponsible people develop the capacity to put them in warheads
on missiles or put them in briefcases that could be exploded in
small rooms.

             And I say this not to frighten you.  The world will
always have challenges.  I think the chances are quite good that
we can organize ourselves for this challenge and deal with it
very effectively.  I personally believe that the next 50 years
will be far more peaceful and less dangerous for our children and
our grandchildren than the last 50 years were.  I also believe
they will be the most prosperous and interesting time in all of
human history -- but only if we do the right things.

From: http://library.whitehouse.gov/ThisWeek-plain.cgi

For more on the US ban of assault weapons and the US and Mexico's
convention to fight illicit arms trafficking, signed yesterday:

   http://jya.com/piat111597.htm