CDA: The Sequel -- introduced in the U.S. Senate

Declan McCullagh declan at pathfinder.com
Fri Nov 14 21:09:02 PST 1997

Jonah, mon ami, I had almost forgotten the details of this little episode
in 1995 where CDT praises the "harmful to minors" version of the CDA.
Thanks for reminding me to refresh my memory. This excerpt is from a
document called "CDT-led Coalition letter to Telecomm Conferees, 11/9/95"
that lives at your web site.

http://www.cdt.org/policy/freespeech/1109_iwg_ltr.html
>"We believe it is possible to craft a criminal statute that punishes
>those who provide truly harmful material to children in a manner
>that both targets the serious offenses about which some conservative
>family groups are most concerned, and that also will withstand
>constitutional scrutiny. In particular, rather than relying on the
>vague and constitutionally suspect "indecency" standard, Congress
>should instead consider the "harmful to minors" standard within the
>framework of Title 18 of the United Sates Code. This standard is
>used in numerous state statutes and has been found constitutional
>by the United States Supreme Court."

-Declan

ObBillGates: Microsoft signed the letter too.