Tim May's offensive racism (was: about RC4)

Joichi Ito jito at eccosys.com
Fri Nov 14 17:52:25 PST 1997

At 12:22 97/11/14 -0700, Tim May wrote:

> I'm actually delighted the Joichi Ito has, on the basis of my humor,
> denounced me as a racist.  As a member of a "mongrelized society," as one
> prominent Japanese put it a while back (and not back in the 1940s...it was
> the 1980s), I am always happy to be called a racist by someone from one of
> the most racially homogeneous nations on earth, a nation which of course
> did not allow any "boat people" to settle in their nation, all the while
> denouncing the U.S. for letting only several hundred thousand boat people
> in.

I'm not going to defend Japan on this one. Japan is a rascist society.
Does that make it OK for you to be one too?

> The history of our "Nobuki Nakatuji" <bd1011 at hotmail.com> is apparently
> unknown to Joichi Ito, else he would not have been so quick to brand me a
> racist for my humor.

I'm sorry, but a racial remark is a racial remark. I never said it wasn't
funny and I never said this guy didn't deserve it. But what you said
was racist, no doubt about it, and even if they are funny, I personally
think that racial jokes are stupid and cheap.

On and by the way, I actually didn't think your message was very funny,
and I don't see how you can argue that I shouldn't brand you a rascist
just because you thought you were funny and the guy deserved it.

 - Joi

--
PGP Key: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2D9461F1
PGP Fingerprint: 58F3 CA9A EFB8 EB9D DF18  6B16 E48D AF2A 2D94 61F1