Tim May's offensive racism (was: about RC4)

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Fri Nov 14 10:22:33 PST 1997

Monty Cantsin wrote:

> Anonymous <anon at anon.efga.org>
> >This illustrates what a liability the poster has become to the
> >cypherpunks.  The group is becoming just another militia front,
> >identified with racism and white supremacy, applauding violent murder
> >of government agents, one step from applauding the Oklahoma killings.
> >Its original purpose all but forgotten, the list has died, poisoned
> >by the hatred flowing from its leader.
>
> What would be the most effective way of managing the problem you
> perceive?
>
> Probably by writing the kinds of articles you would like to see on the
> list.

If you don't speak up when someone says something objectionable, you are
implicitly condoning it.  Silence gives consent.  How many people have
objected to Tim May's racist comments?  Only one or two.  How many objected
when William Geiger suggested that more nuclear bombs should have been
dropped on Japan?  None.  How many have objected to the notion that
residents of Washington, D.C. should be killed?  Hardly any.

At one time the cypherpunks stood for freedom of speech and protection of
privacy.  Today they stand for guns, violence, threats of terrorism and
murder, racism, homophobia, jingoism.

It's ironic to see that the kind of off-topic, flaming, irrelevant
posts which have caused such consternation in the past are now the norm.
Reasonable people have been largely driven off the list, leaving it to
supporters of violence and hate.

The sad thing is, this is all unnecessary.  The original conception was
that cryptography would allow people to protect the privacy of voluntary
interactions.  Laws forbidding voluntary transactions will be difficult
or impossible to enforce.  We will move into a world where there is far
more liberty and freedom for everyone.

There is no need to blast government agents' heads open.  There is no
need to nuke D.C., or Japan.  There is no need to disparage people of other
races and cultures.

Step back from this immersion in a culture of violence.  Draw the cloak
of privacy about your actions.  That is the true cypherpunk way.