CDA: The Sequel -- introduced in the U.S. Senate

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Nov 12 18:33:19 PST 1997

Danny,

Trying to deny that CDT supported the White harmful to minors "compromise"
is a sad attempt at history revisionism. As Marc Rotenberg said, "CDT
supported the White measure and went to great pains to blame the members of
the conference committee who did not endorse it."

Which is of course true. After the vote you lost on the harmful to minors
"compromise":

     -- Comm Daily reported: Jerry Berman, exec. dir. of Center for
	Democracy & Technology, which had tried to forge
	compromise on issue, said he had been betrayed "by
	liberal Democrats, who are supposed to be protectors of
	the Constitution.

     -- IISR reported: Jerry Berman, executive director of the
	Center for Democracy and Technology, called the [vote on
	the] White proposal "a significant defeat for civil liberties
	in cyberspace.

     -- EETimes reported: "The House came within an inch of
	getting it right," says Jerry Berman, Center for
	Democracy and Technology.

Either the world's population of journalists are in a vast clandestine
conspiracy to misrepresent your organization's position or ... CDT (gasp!)
did in fact embrace the HTM so-called compromise.

You must remember, after all, that CDT declined to sign a December 5, 1995
coalition letter that told Congress to "to reject *all* proposals to impose
new government censorship regulations on cyberspace." Why didn't you sign
it?  (http://www.epic.org/cda/hyde_letter.html)

Instead, as I recall, CDT was up on stage with the anti-porn advocates to
unveil the "compromise." (I admit my memory's fuzzy on this point. I'm sure
you'll clarify.)

Where was I then? When the news of the "compromise" broke in December 1995,
I was in Cambridge having brunch with Harvey Silverglate (who's now
defending the Au Pair case) and other local free-speech advocates. As I
wrote in a post to f-c at the time, all of us were astonished to see the
headline in the New York Times: "Civil liberties groups accept compromise."
Of course it was CDT that accepted it. ACLU said at the time here on f-c
that "no true civil liberties group" would ever agree to supporting that
kind of censorship.

Also, contrary to what you claim, I'm not an "opponent" of filtering
software. Parents have the right to use it with their children. I believe,
however, that public institutions must abide by the First Amendment when
installing it.

I'm glad you provided this opportunity to clarify these issues. Now perhaps
we can move on to discussing the Coats bill.

-Declan