Content controls

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Nov 11 15:35:55 PST 1997

At 1:57 PM -0700 11/8/97, William H. Geiger III wrote:

>Once you have given me the keys to unlock and display the data I can save
>it, copy it, reproduce it and distribut it. To assume otherwise shows a
>lack of understanding of computer systems and moderen OS's. Sure I would
>need to write some software and jump through some hoops to do it but there
>is nothing that your system can do to prevent me from doing so. Now wether
>it is worth the effort to do so will depend on the value of the data
>involved. Once you have given me the ability to display the data you have
>lost the battle as I can do whatever I want with it.

Exactly so. Once able to go into the listener's ears, the viewer's
eyeballs, or the customer's whatever, the battle is basically lost.

About the best that can be hoped for is to insert some "almost unnoticeable
mark"--a watermark, a notch filter (a la early scheme for combatting DAT
piracy), etc. And even these "almost unoticeable marks" are easily twiddled
away. Unless they are so noticeable that serious image or sound distortion
occurs when the marks are removed or obscured.

Even purely digital works are easily copied. Even unique IDs per software
piece are easily removed (e.g., by having N customers compare and diff out
the noncommon bits).

--Tim May