Tygar cracks SET (was Re: Freeware SET?)

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Nov 11 14:28:06 PST 1997

At 2:11 pm -0500 on 11/9/97, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:

> The SET reference implementation was written only with a concern for protocol
> correctness and essentially no concern for operational usability.  It is not
> clear to me that a product could be based on it without a lot of additonal
> work.  But I suppose it might be useful for hacking...

At Doug Tygar's talk at Harvard last week, he claimed to have found a way
to crack it. I, um, forgot to press him on this. Has anyone heard about
this, or what it might be?

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>