Bell vs. Woodward--justice?

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Mon Nov 10 16:54:46 PST 1997

rab at stallion.oz.au wrote:
> Tim May wrote:
> > The au pair Louise Woodward will serve less time in jail than Jim Bell
> > will. While Bell languishes in a Washington state jail, awaiting (for
> > almost 7 months!!) his sentence, the convicted babykiller is now free.
> >
> > I guess having a couple of fake SS tattoos, er, "numbers," and
> > possibly opening a vial of mercaptin where some people would smell it,
> > is a more serious crime than shaking a baby to death.

> Here in Australia the media has been giving this trial regular coverage
> with the spin "Innocent English Person Wrongly Found Guilty by US Jury".
> The coverage led me to believe that despite scientific evidence to  the
> contrary the jury found Woodward guilty.  One other point from the
> coverage was that Woodward represented herself for at least some part of
> the trial, did Jim Bell do this too?

It was apparent to many Canadians that the au pair would be found guilty
of having 'traditional British Reserve.' The American system of justice
is nothing more than a dog-and-pony show, particularly in hi-profile
cases. The dumb British kid was under some mistaken impression that
the trial would be based on facts.

The prosecution could have mounted as good or better a case against
the child's parents. (Two physicians that don't notice that their child
has suffered a fractured wrist and skull? No wonder they were so hot
to have the girl convicted.)
The Judge knows damn well that reasonable doubt was visibly established,
and I suspect he's trying to get everyone out of the mess as quickly
and easily as possible.

Bell's case is different. He was villainized within the court system
and there was little chance of it going to trial, unless he managed
to find an attorney who never wanted to win another case.
Bell's public defender turned down outside offeres of assistance from
veteran attorneys, and Bell was kept under wraps.
My guess is that Bell was the first Cypherpunk to receive the coming
digital implants.

MongerUnit #2347