Return of the Living Zundel, from The Netly News

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sat Nov 8 21:55:47 PST 1997

Steve Thompson wrote:
> In local.lists.cypherpunks-moderated you write:
> >http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,1561,00.html
> >The Netly News Network (http://netlynews.com/)
> >        "A lot of people think this case is about censoring the Net,"
> >   said Bernie Farber, national director of community relations for the
> >   Canadian Jewish Congress. "It isn't. It's about a Canadian violating
> >   Canadian law. In Canada and in every other Western democracy but the
> >   U.S., there are limits to free speech and one of those points is
> >   vilification.

> I took a short 'course' on hate-crimes in downtown Toronto where this goof was
> the speaker.  In very short order, I had decided that his agenda was merely to
> be in some small position of authority.  He's a pro-censorship freak who wants
> to protect the chiiillldreeeen from views he doesn't like.  It was quite
> amusing to pin him down a little -- he squirmed and stated that he _did_ want
> the government to protect him from things he didn't want to hear; in a rather
> shrill tone.  It made me laugh in retrospect but at the time I was, I confess,
> shocked -- having encountered such idiocy only in print or on USENET.

  After the government has finished arming park rangers, as well as all
federal daycare workers and filing clerks, I suppose they will begin
giving
surplus military weapons to USENET censors, and the like, and deputizing
them so that they can legally enforce their own narrow views.

> It boggles the mind.

  Hey! Watch your language, pal. You can't say 'boggles' on a family
list!

BogglesMonger