democracy?! (fwd)

Paul Bradley paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 12:19:40 PST 1997

> Governments and religions *ARE* people. There are times where I think you
> have said the stupidist thing possible and then you keep typing. Individuals
> are the ones who killed the Jews, put pepper spray in the eyes of
> demonstrators, and just about everything else that gets done.

Yes, but these people were "just obeying orders", these orders in turn
came from a government which, although it consists of individuals is much
more than that, The whole problem with demcracy is that it merges the
views of those that give it a mandate to govern into one huge fudge,
anarchies give less structural potential for the "mob rule" seen in
modern democracies. Also, by and large, governments in modern democracies
are free to commit small evils without ever influencing their share of
the vote, the bigger evils are the ones that get noticed by the electorate.

Governments are just "collections of individuals", in the same way that a
you are just "a load of assorted chemicals". To say something like that
indicates a lack of understanding of the distinction between individual
views and mob rule, I credit you with more intelligence than to ignore
such a distinction Jim.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul at crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul at cryptography.uk.eu.org