Terrorism is a NON-THREAT (fwd)

snow snow at smoke.suba.com
Mon Nov 3 20:45:07 PST 1997

>  We hear on TV etc people saying "If this draconian measure saves the
>  life of one innocent child its worth the loss of my right to walk in
>  the park, or whatever". This is clearly shit, but can people suggest a
>  sensible measure of when new legistlation is justified?

	When you can figure out a way to fix the problem without
stepping on freedoms. Then legislation is justified.

	Part of the problem is that people _assume_ that legislation fixes
problems. It doesn't. Laws just give society permission to punish the
offender. In that case we have plenty of laws, it would be rare that we
would need another.