apropos list talk and our culture

Brian B. Riley brianbr at together.net
Sat Nov 1 08:36:13 PST 1997

On 10/29/97 10:06 AM, Tim May (tcmay at got.net)  passed this wisdom:

>>At 5:38 AM -0700 10/29/97, Brad Dolan wrote: "Michael Hays" is a
>>new CBS series about a U.S. District Attorney. Last night's episode
>>was about how a radio talk-show host incited a listener to kill a
>>BATF agent and was brought to justice. DA convinced a jury that
>>some things were "more important" than the first amendment.
>
>I was just about to mention this show, in connection with the Waco
>incident.
>
>I was truly disgusted by the show. None of the relative balance and
>realismthat "Law and Order" has, by comparison. For starters, very
>unrealistic. Even Freeh and Company understand the role of the
>First (to give them theirdue). Just plain bad writers.

  I really disagree with your overall assessment, but yes it definitely
wasn't in a league with L&O and the script was somewhat uneven

>Some of the slimy stuff: (all quotes are rough paraphrases)
>
>* references to Waco followers as crazies: "they seem to show up
>everywhere"
>
>* a black assistant to Hayes talks about the chat rooms and online
>discussion groups that the "extreme right wing" people are in: "And
>this stuff is completely unregulated!"

  these were out of line and sort of to be expected these days

>* the First Amendment is seen as a minor obstacle to prosecution.
>Hayes congratulates his assistant at the end for finding a way
>around the First as a defense.

  Thats not how I viewed it, I don't remeber the words, but I saw it that
he was not going to 'go after' the first amendment and cautioned them
about how unwise that was.

>* the talk show host has apparently done nothing more than many of
>us havedone on this list
>
>* he is convicted because he claimed not to have ever met the
>murderer, buta tearful witness (girlfriend of the murderer) says
>they did meet, briefly.
>
>(No evidence is presented that the talk show host participated,
>supplied weapons, encouraged the murderer, etc.)

  maybe I am dreaming about something else, but I think they clearly
showed that he had met with the guy and was fully aware that he was a
crazy and could be pushed over the line

>* Oh, and to add to the sliminess, the DA's office promises the
>tearful girlfriend that her boyfriend will get a life sentence
>instead of death if she testifies, but "whoops."

  definite slime

>After the assistant to Hayes talks about the Net being "completely
>unregulated!," and after finding the "Pentium II with 48 megs of
>memory," I was expecting some mention of encryption. As a way to
>further show how evilthe online community is. But I saw no mention.

   well gee maybe we should arrest everyone with a pentium/ppc and more
than 16 Megs of RAM for possesion of 'cyber-terrorist' tools

>I will admit to a guilty pleasure: the opening scene, where the
>BATF agentgets shot in the face, was delicious.

   I looked at it with mixed emotions ... BATF is made up of guys and
gals just like us, some good, some bad, some sheep. The problem with BATF
is that their leadership sucked and the bad ones got their way. Just like
years ago, when Philadelphia elected Frank Rizzo (former Police
Commsisioner) mayor ... he wasn't a bad cop but ran a little rough shod
over the Bill of Rights from time to time ... with him as Mayor, the
Philadelphia PD went to hell in a handbasket because all his old cronies
could get away with murder (often literally!)

Brian B. Riley --> http://www.macconnect.com/~brianbr
 For my PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr at together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "...error reading WinOS. (A)bort, (R)etry, (M)acintosh?"