apropos list talk and our culture

Brian B. Riley brianbr at together.net
Sat Nov 1 08:14:58 PST 1997

On 10/29/97 7:38 AM, Brad Dolan (bdolan at USIT.NET)  passed this wisdom:

>"Michael Hays" is a new CBS series about a U.S. District Attorney.  Last
>night's episode was about how a radio talk-show host incited a listener
>to kill a BATF agent and was brought to justice.  DA convinced a jury
>that some things were "more important" than the first amendment.

 No that was not the point made, in fact the show made a strong point in
favor of the first amendment. They went after the shock-jock because he
specifically incited a specific individiual with words which we he knew
would have an immediate cause and effect result in getting this guy to go
out and kill someone. There is a difference, and I personally thought
they made the point well .... now the accused did try to hide behind the
first amendment but that was not what the first amendment is all about.

  You have to pick yopur mountains to die on in those arenas and the
shock-jocks cause would not have been one I would have touched were I a
Constitutional lawyer.

Brian B. Riley --> http://www.macconnect.com/~brianbr
  For PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr at together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "Never ask what sort of computer a guy drives. If he's a Mac user,
   he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" - Tom Clancy