SSN - when can agencies ask, and passports

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sat May 31 19:38:17 PDT 1997

The privacy act of 1974 (public law 93-579) says that any government
agency has to provide you with the follwing when asking for a SSN:

1. If the disclosure is mandatory or optional

2. The statutory or other authority they have to ask for it

3. How it will be used

4. Any penalties for not disclosing it.

These should be in a "privacy act notice" the agency should already have.

As far as passports, I have a pointer to an article in the Western State
Law Review, Fall '92 issue by Stephen Kruger.  The title is Passports,
Social Security Numbers, & 26 USC sec 6039E where he points out that it is
probably unconstitutional to fine someone.

A plug is warranted since the above info (and a lot more of value) is in
Financial Privacy Report, Vol4N8 (August 1994) - I think back issues are
$15, but call first (612)-895-8757.  This issue is entitled 22 ways to
protect your social security number from thieves, snoops, and bureaucrats.
FPR / POB 1277 / Burnsville MN 55337