Rotenberg as the Uber Enemy

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Sat May 31 15:13:44 PDT 1997

At 02:16 PM 5/31/97 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Uh, no. Bell was charged with violating:
>
>26 U.S.C. Section 7212(a)
>42 U.S.C. Section 408(a)
>
>Which are, generally, attempts to interfere with administration of
>internal revenue laws and fraudulent use of a false SSN.

If that was the extend of the story, Bell wouldn't still be in jail.  The
USC violations above may be the official charge, but they hardly justify
keeping somebody locked up without bail. Bell is still in jail because he
wrote a politically incorrect essay and made the mistake of publishing it.
Come to think of it, that makes him a political prisoner.

What is the penalty for using a fake SSN? Does using a fake SSN warrant
keeping the suspect locked up without bail? I would think not.

--Lucky Green <shamrock at netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred.

  Put a stake through the heart of DES! Join the quest at
http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm