Janus (now called LPWA) ready for pre-testing)

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri May 30 20:02:43 PDT 1997

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:31:25 -0400
From: alain at research.bell-labs.com (Alain Mayer)
To: rah at shipwright.com
Subject: Janus (now called LPWA) ready for pre-testing)
Cc: alain at research.bell-labs.com

Hi Robert,

the Janus system I presented at FC97 is now running on
a proxy at Bell Labs, accessible to everyone.
Maybe you can send the announcement below to the
fc97 mailing list?

Many thanks and I hope everything is fine with you,

   -- Alain

Hi,

Janus (now called the Lucent Personalized Web Assistant, LPWA) is now
pre-testing.
Its main goal is to increase convenience, security, and privacy for browsing
the web, especially with sites that require registration (and hence user
names, passwords and e-mail addresses).
We hope that you will use it for a while and give us some feedback on what you
like and what kind of things are annoying. Note, that you can only participate
if you are able to configure your browser to directly connect to our proxy.
Some of you might be behind a firewall or ISP where a particular proxy is
required.

Instructions can be found at http://lpwa.com:8000.

More on the project is located at
http://www.bell-labs.com/project/lpwa/

An arbitrary list of (free) sites which require registration can be found at
http://www.bell-labs.com/projects/lpwa/extended_summary_tmp.html#account

Please note that this project has not yet been publicy announced and that
documentation and code are currently being revised. Also, the current set-up,
where you have to connect to LPWA/Janus over an insecure connection is not
"optimal" (to say the least, but all in all much better than if you browse
the "usual way"). Hence, we are really looking for "friendly users" at this
time whose feedback might help us to make improvements.

Regards,
  -- Alain

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/