SSN and passport

Igor Chudov @ home ichudov at algebra.com
Tue May 27 22:21:51 PDT 1997

Tim May wrote:

> If the agencies and companies are so cavalier about ignoring the clear
> stipulation that the SS card/number is *not* a general identification
> scheme, then it is very doubtful that asking people to supply all this sort
> of information is not violating any law.

Tim,

You may have a point regarding the government (state and federal) use
of social security numbers. As for private entities, their use of SSNs
is not regulated. They can ask you for one and you can refuse to give one
out, and they can refuse to do business with you.

They could, as well, ask for your mother's birthday or your penis size,
or whatever. The things that they may not ask (in my understanding)
are race and possibly some other protected things.

I routinely refuse to give my SSN in stores when I write checks, and in
some other situations.  Typically, it causes a surprised look by a clerk
and not much more, but from time to time I have to talk to their
managers.

This issue is discussed in (I think) alt.privacy FAQ.

	- Igor.