The lights went out in Georgia

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue May 27 13:54:19 PDT 1997

At 3:43 PM -0400 5/27/97, Robert A. Costner wrote:

>Electronic Frontiers Georgia has set up a key repository for PGP type keys.
>This is part of a pilot project based on Georgia's New Digital Signature
>Law.
>We are still beta testing the keyserver, and invite people to try it out.
>The
>results of our testing will be presented at the Digital Signature Task Force
>meeting on June 24th.
...>This is a closed keyserver, in that keys do not replicate to non EFGA
>keyservers.  If this model is successful, this will help move Georgia to a
>position of being pro-strong encryption.
>
>Right now the server may only accept keys through the PGPkeys interface.  We
>appreciate comments from experienced PGP users.  Comments may be sent to
>myself, or to keymaster at efga.org

But as Robert knows more directly than I, Georgia also has the "anonymity
is a crime" laws on the books (an article excerpt is below...doing a search
on Georgia and anonynimity will turn up a lot of articles).

One of the articles:

"ACLU Sues Georgia for Restricting Free Speech

"[September 26] -- This week the American Civil Liberties Union, Electronic
Frontiers Georgia, Georgia State Representative Mitchell
Kaye (R-Marietta), and others filed suit against the state of Georgia for
restricting free online speech.

"The Georgia statute makes it illegal for users to assume online anonymous
personas or pseudonyms. The statute also restricts the use of
linking to other sites on the Web. "

So, what will happen if people, entities, remailers, pseudonyms, etc..
submit keys to this EFF-Georgia repository without providing SS number,
passport, mother's maiden name, etc.?

(Will Georgia seek the BlackNet operator's extradition for not complying
with Georgia's law when he submits the BlackNet key? Does the Georgia EFF
plan to enforce the Georgia law?)

--Tim May