Police & military access

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Thu May 22 23:40:38 PDT 1997

On Thu, May 22, 1997 at 09:04:15PM -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It occured to me that if the police have no civil liberties extending beyond
> that of a citizen and citizens are not legaly permitted access to military
> hardware then neither should the police.
[...]
> If a police officer can buy body armor and automatic weapons for self
> defence then so can a citizen.

[...]

> Do police have any civil rights not endowed to a individual citizen?

No.  But on the job, doing their state assigned duties, they have
access to instrumentalities not available to private citizens or
off-duty police.  "On" and "off" duty may sometimes be a little fuzzy
in practice, but the principle is clear.  It isn't a big deal, and
it's not a matter of civil rights.  A license to practice medicine
gives you the ability to prescribe morphine.  A certain class of
drivers license lets you drive a school bus full of children.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent at songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...