V-Chips for the Internet

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Thu May 22 19:53:48 PDT 1997

A White House press briefing today describes Clinton's
plan for providing V-chips for parents to control childrens'
access to the Internet. Technology is being developed for
that purpose.

   http://jya.com/wh052297.txt

Quote:

                MS. LEWIS: It's our understanding, and we just checked
this with people at the White House who know much more about
technology than all of us put together, that there is in fact technology
being developed that would serve as the equivalent of a V-chip for the
Internet, and we think that's what the President referred to.

                Q Clinton has talked before about giving parents ways to
protect their children on the Internet, but has he ever before suggested
the idea of a V-chip for the Internet?

                MS. LEWIS:  Not that we know of, but we know -- as is
clear, I think, from his wording, he is aware that the technology has
been developing.

End quote.