Spam IS Free Speech

Mark Grant mark at unicorn.com
Thu May 22 04:46:15 PDT 1997

> Spam is interfering with the *real* victim's (the sendmail operator's)
> ability to provide customer service; in a very real and fiscally
> damaging way.

It's worse than that; some asshole has just sent out a spam with a forged
return address at $$$$@unicorn.com. There is absolutely nothing I can do
to stop people sending such forgeries, yet my mailbox is about to explode
with megabytes of complaints and mailbombs. I hate to think what kind of
mess I'll have to deal with when I get back from my holiday next week.

Anyone know how to track down the owner of 1-800-322-6169 EXT 2561, the
only contact information in the spam? I'm not in the US so I can't call
them to complain. Is there any way I and the spammees could take legal
action against them without spending vast amounts of money?

	Mark

P.S. Privtool 0.90 is just out at utopia.hacktic.nl; I'll send a proper
announcement soon. Privtool is a PGP-aware mail program for X-windows, see
details at http://www.unicorn.com/privtool/privtool.html.