SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Jeff Barber jeffb at issl.atl.hp.com
Wed May 21 07:35:39 PDT 1997

Martin Minow writes:

> Tim May wrote:
> >
> >Also, my tag line, "Death to tyrants!" is straight out of the Founders'
> >mouths.
> >
> Umm, I may be mistaken, but I believe that "Sic Semper Tyrannis" translates as
> "thus always to tyrants" and was spoken by John Wilkes Booth when he
> assasinated
> President Lincoln.

FYI, from http://www.scvol.com/States/virginia.htm

    [picture of Virginia flag]

    A deep blue field contains the seal of Virginia with the Latin
    motto "Sic Semper Tyrannis" - "Thus Ever to Tyrants". Adopted in
    1776. The two figures are acting out the meaning of the motto.
    Both are dressed as warriors. The woman, Virtue, represents Virginia.
    The man holding a scorge [sic] and chain shows that he is a tyrant.
    His fallen crown is nearby.

Not conclusive, but it seems likely this slogan was well known to the
"Founders".

-- Jeff