The Bell Plan

TruthMonger tm at dev.null
Wed May 21 03:58:04 PDT 1997

John Young wrote:
>    The Oregonian, May 20, 1997, Metro Section P-1:
>       An affidavit says a Vancouver man arrested Friday talked of
>       sabotaging Portland's 9-1-1 computer and Bull Run water
>
>    Vancouver, Wash. -- A Vancouver man arrested Friday by Internal
>    Revenue agents discussed sabotaging the computers in Portland's
>    9-1-1 center and talked about using a botulism toxin to contaminate
>    the Bull Run water supply, a federal agent said Monday.

  After reading this news article and a variety of posts on the
cypherpunks
list (especially by Tim May and Paul Bradley), I have decided that I
cannot
in good conscence allow Jim Bell's persecution for exercising his basic
human right to free speech to pass by without taking personal action to
support him.
  "Then they came for the CypherPunks, and nobody spoke up..."
                                       - Jonathan

  Accordingly, I am hereby starting a thread on the cypherpunks list
to discuss "the possibility of putting the fibers down the air vents
of a federal building" to kill its computers, and the feasability
of using other methods to accomplish the same end.

  If Jim Bell is guilty of the charges against him, then I am already
guilty of the same types of charges, as are many other cypherpunks.
I undoubtedly have some of the same files/posts on my computer as
the ones that the government will use as proof of Jim Bell's guilt.

  My action in this regard is for the purpose of protesting the
governments persecution of its citizens, Jim Bell specifically,
and to act to counter the benefits that they expect to gain by
doing so.
(CypherPunk Translation~~"I'm pissing in the government's face.")

  In keeping with what I see as a cypherpunk frame of mind, I am
posting this via an anonymous remailer, but I am also digitally
signing it. I am not hiding my identity, but merely taking
action to prevent my public statement from being used to unjustly
persecute me.

  In effect, I am telling the U.S. government that in exercising
one of my basic human rights I feel it is necessary to protect
myself legally from the government persecution of its citizens.
  I am also telling them that I will not "go quietly into the
night" in the face of censorship, loss of privacy, and oppression.
I will "route around" the "damage" that the government's policies
and legislation cause, doing so in a non-violent manner.
  (Hopefully, but not realistically, they will recognize that
if they manage to block all means for me to non-violently
route around the abrogation of my rights as a free human being,
that my only alternatives will be conflict or enslavement.)

  Anyway, in thinking about the possibilities surrounding the
introduction of carbon fibers into a federal building, my first
thought was in regard to whether or not carbon fibers are
actually known to cause damage to hard drives.
  Does anyone know where this idea comes from and whether it
has any known basis in fact? If there is some basis for
believing it to be a possibility, then it would not take much
effort to test it out. One could get an old computer for a
petty sum and use it to test the results of introducing the
fibers through the power supply.

TruthMonger #1
"They will get my cryptography when they pry it from my
cold, dead algorithms."