Telnet Anonymous

Stokely Boast stokely at beacondesign.com
Thu May 15 23:20:50 PDT 1997

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Adam Philipp wrote:

> At 08:34 AM 5/12/97 -0500, harka at nycmetro.com wrote:
> >
> >E-Mail...NYM-Servers
> >WWW...Anonymizer
> >Telnet...??
> >
> >How does one telnet anonymously to another system, assuming that
> >one's home system has identd?
> >
> >Thanks already in advance...
>
> Did you look at getting an anonymous account at cyberpass.net?
>
> Try http://www.cyberpass.net
>
> Note, they tend to be strict about not using it for illegal activity, but
> highly supportive for general anonymous use.
>
> Then again you could set up some type of applet scheme, but I doubt anyone
> would be willing to keep it active.

As you say, Cyberpass clearly states that they are strict about not
allowing illegal activities.  They also state that they keep logs of
incoming telnet host information and will turn it over if an account is
used for anything illegal.

I am not sure what kind of applet scheme you have in mind.

It seems to me that anonymous remailers and anonymous telnet services are
very similar.  The major difference is that latency (natural and
otherwise) can be used in remailers in order to help foil traffic
analysis, but would render an anonymous telnet service useless.

With sufficient bandwidth an anonymous telnet service could chop up
packets and send them through other services in order to further obscure
the matter.  Something like what Mix does?

Has this been discussed on the list before, and if so, is anyone working
on something like this?

Perhaps the best that could be done at this point would be more along the
lines of obscurity than of anonymity.

Stokely Boast                                    stokely at beacondesign.com
Client/Server and RDBMS Consulting                Beacon Design Group Inc
PGP Id/Print: 5FD48D11 / B2 49 6C 7D 18 AC CA FB  0E 17 E5 97 6C 11 6C E7