MSNBC poll on crypto

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu May 15 20:57:51 PDT 1997

At 5:55 PM -0800 5/15/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Should the United States
>       remove restrictions on
>       the export of powerful
>       encryption technology?

>       Unequivocally yes (84.1%)

You left out the very next question:

Should the United States allow unbreakable, military-grade cryptography to
be used undetectably by child pornographers, terrorists, and money
launderers?

         Unequivocally "No" (93.4%)

You see, it all depends on how the question is asked. I have long argued
that Americans are split, simultaneously, between two opposing world views:

"What have you got to hide?"

and

"None of your damned business."

Depending on the issue, or how the issue is phrased, either view may surface.

I certainly don't trust opinion polls. If MSNBC conducts a similar poll
after an Oklahoma City type of event, which we all have reason to suspect
is about to happen in the next six or seven months, and crypto is found to
be involved (seems likely), we can expect an opinion poll which arrives at
the "What have they got to hide" conclusion.

So?

--Tim May