Anonymous Remailers

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Wed May 14 22:46:27 PDT 1997

On Wed, May 14, 1997 at 06:01:23PM -0700, Lucky Green wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 1997, Roger J. Jones wrote:
>
> > Why is it that some who are very concerned about their personal privacy utilize anonymous remailers that:
> >
> > 1) Log all of their mail messages?
> > 2) Are in many cases reputed to be run by foreign intelligence services?
>
> Net.myths
>
> > Do they really trust the owner of the remailer? (Unless of course, it is
> their remailer?) I seem to be missing something.
>
> You are missing the fact that you can chain remailers. Therefore it is
> pretty much irrelevant if some remailers are compromised.
>

> Then again, I know several remailer operators personally. Which makes me
> less worried about the them being foreign intelligence agents.

Lucky, since I am considered contemptible by several c'punks, I worry
about them more than I would about foreign intelligence agents.  I
have actually considered sending some things through the remailers,
but I don't trust them -- I don't find cypherpunks any less
susceptible to ideology than foreign agents...

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent at songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...