The Inducement of Rapid Oxidation of Certain Materials....

Tom Allard m1tca00 at FRB.GOV
Wed May 14 12:46:43 PDT 1997

kent at songbird.com said:

> > The correlation between your definition of anarchy and war is obvious,
> > if you define anarchy as "A lack of government leading to lawlessness"
> > you are obviously going to see a correlation between this and
> > lawlessness!
>
> That's not *my* definition, it's *the* definition, as described in a
> standard, reputable dictionary.  I realize that you have your own private
> definition of the term, that you share with your friends and an esoteric
> community.  However, I am not a member of that community, so I use the
> standard meaning.

How pedantic.  Webster's New World Dictionary (also reputable, I might add),
has THIS to say about "Anarchy":

  anarchy n. [Gr. an- without + archos, leader] 1. the absence of government
  2. political disorder and violence 3. disorder; confusion

Note the etymology.  Taken to its roots, the word simply means "no leader".

It also says:

  anarchism n. [see anarchy] 1. the theory that all organized government is
  repressive and undesirable 2. resistance to all government

Note the COMPLETE lack of "chaos" or "disorder" in this definition.  Being
an anarchist, therefore, does NOT imply that one supports chaos and
disorder.

rgds-- TA  (tallard at frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.
pgp fingerprint: 10 49 F5 24 F1 D9 A7 D6  DE 14 25 C8 C0 E2 57 9D