`careerpunks'

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Tue May 13 05:22:39 PDT 1997

Adam Back wrote:
> Seems to me many of the `cypherpunks' have become `careerpunks' and
> are now more interested in trading crypto tips, trade gossip, than in
> cypherpunks projects.
>
> They went through the phase of buying kewl domain names (take a look
> down the subscriber lists), tinkering with remailers, and have now
> graduated to making money from crypto consulting, and lost interest in
> the issues where they don't add to the bottom line.

	I disagree with your analysis.  I'm working for a number of
large companies as a consultant.  At each of them, I think I've done
things that substantially imrpove customer privacy.  At one, I may
have sold them on role certificates "This certifies that the bearer
can access account 345567734545435."  As opposed to "This is John
Smith."  I think thats a huge win for privacy advocates, and hey, it
saves them work and money to do it this way.  I could not have
convinced these people by posting to cypherpunks.

	Selling your services does not involve selling out.

Adam

					               -Hume