DARPA & Networking

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue May 13 00:11:43 PDT 1997

At 11:16 PM -0800 5/12/97, harka at nycmetro.com wrote:

>== Forwarded Message Follows =======================================
>From: Amnon Till <amnont at beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
>To: gsunet-l at bgu.edu
>Subject: The DARPA site
>
>http://www.arpa.mil/
>
>DARPA is the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency. We all
>know that DARPA initiated in the late 60's project ARPA, which was
>omne of the current internet's roots.
>
>If we want to read more about DARPA, its projects, mission statements
>history etc etc this is your site.

I'm not sure why this is of much interest to our list...ARPA/DARPA being
old news and all.

DARPA did not "intiate project ARPA" (??). Rather, the names have just
changed a couple of times. ARPA was changed to DARPA in 1969-70, in
accordance with the Mansfield Amendment's dictate that research be more
militarily directed.

A few years ago the name DARPA was changed back to ARPA. (But, last I heard
it was back to being DARPA again.)

There's an entertaining new book, "Where Wizards Stay Up Late," by Katie
Hafner, which describes some of the history of the ARPANet. (My university
was one of the first four nodes, so I had a primitive ARPANet account in
1973.)

--Tim May