The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon May 12 10:02:42 PDT 1997

I've recently had some of my articles sent to "cypherpunks at cyberpass.net"
bounce (more precisely: "<cypherpunks at cyberpass.net>... Deferred:
Connection timed out with rigel.cyberpass.net. Warning: message still
undelivered after 4 hours").

And I've received no Cypherpunks list traffic more recently dated than
Saturday morning. (I'm subscribed to cypherpunks at cyberpass.net.)

I surmise that something is wrong. So I've subscribed to one of the
alternates, cypherpunks at algebra.com.

Some thoughts:

* Is it possible for the interlinked lists to send out announcements of
list problems to subscriber of all such lists? (Each list owner could do a
periodic "who cypherpunks" of the other lists, then use this list to send a
message if a problem comes up. More sophisticated cross-processing could
eliminate duplicates, etc.)

* Alternatively, if one of the sites goes down, such as
"cypherpunks at cyberpass.net" seems to have done, could the other sites
automagically pick up the task of distributing articles until the site
comes back up?

* How feasible is it to have a single "virtual subscription address" which
gets traffic from one of the various list sites? (To avoid having to
subscribe to two or more lists and thus getting duplicates.)

I'll resubmit a few of my recent articles to cypherpunks at algebra.com.

--Tim May