Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked (fwd)

tzeruch at ceddec.com tzeruch at ceddec.com
Sun May 11 15:56:16 PDT 1997

One simple question: where is the property right to a socket and mailbox.

If Wallace has the right to fill my computer with unwanted data, then I
have the same right toward his.  If it is an act of free speech to send
some commercial solicitation for something I would never want, it is hard
not to maintain that an ARP packet isn't covered by the same theory, much
less 1M+ responses of the same email.

It costs me something to filter out spam, and will cost him something to
filter out counterspam of whatever sort.  The NSP may be in the no-man's
land between the trenches, but they are providing the connection and can
tell him to look elsewhere or charge a premium for the extra traffic.

Any such property right will be symmetrical, so if I don't have the right
to control what comes into my inbox, neither does anyone at spamway.com.

Whether I like it or not, Anarchocapitalism is going to be the political
system on the internet.  Just like what is described in David Freedman's
books about private protective services, a spammer will continue until he
hits someone with a T3 and a good software agent that will happily fill
out response forms at 6M/sec, or simply ask politely to be taken off the
list several hundred times per second.  At that point the lists of people
who don't want to be spammed will be taken very seriously.