key recovery vs data backup

Alan Barrett apb at iafrica.com
Sun May 11 02:28:36 PDT 1997

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Kent Crispin wrote:
> So PGP's multiple recipient feature is a fundamental building block,
> but you need something more in a crypto-client to be sure that company
> policy is followed.  It's that "somthing more" that is the hard part.
>
> And lest we get into the macho programmer argument -- of course it's
> just a mere matter of design and programming.

Yes.  And probably a lot less design and programming than the key-safe
mechanism.  (For example, PGP already has an "encrypt-to-self" option
that makes it add the user's own key as an additional crypto recipient
of all messages; changing that to the more general "encrypt to this list
of extra keys" should be quite easy.  But designing and building a key
safe sounds like a lot of work to me.)

Of coure, you trust the users not to use versions of PGP that do not
make the corporate key a recipient of all communications, right?  If
not, then you also don't trust them not to use keys that have not been
sent to the key safe in the CAK model.

> > If making policy decisions is too complex in your view for
> > implementation or practicality, well just substitute a policy
> > dumbed down to the level of the safe model.  Ie there is one crypto
> > recipient, all company communications _must_ be encrytped to it as a
> > second crypto recipient.
>
> You are right -- there is the degenerate case where the master key is
> fixed.  However, I would contend that is *very* bad crypto design.  So
> thus you have the problem of distributing information about a revoked
> master key.  (Your solution, below, was that you have a signed policy
> statement.  If you have a security breach, and are revoking a master
> key, how do you know what signature to trust?)

In the key-safe model, you have the problem o distributing information
about a change in location (network address) of the key safe, or a
change in the keys used to authenticate access to the key safe --
similar complexity in both models.

> Furthermore, by encrypting every document to the same master key you
> have actually vastly increased your exposure -- a key-safe can have a
> lot of special-purpose physical and cryptographic security, but the
> master key in the multiple recipient model is almost certainly treated
> the same as all other keys.

You can use special hardware to generate the key pair and to store the
private key -- again, similar issues and similar solutions in both
models.

> > I'm sure you can arrange this same flexibility and bring in the
> > baggage of the policy decisions that come with it for the safe
> > model also if you want it.  Store keys for different departments in
> > different safes.  Give the master keys for the department to the
> > department head, etc.,etc.  Same problem, similar policy decisions,
> > right?
>
> Nope.  Not at all.  The policy for multiple recipients needs to be
> interpreted by the crypto clients.  But in the key-safe model policy
> is almost entirely in human hands.  It doesn't even have to be written
> down.

In either model, you can have the users' software do the same thing
every time (talk to teh same key safe, or encrypt to the same additional
key every time); and in either model you can have the users' software
do different things depending on policies (talk to different key safes,
encrypt to different additional recipients).

It's unfair to say "but I choose to do the same thing every time, and
you choose to do different things every time, therefore my model is
simpler than yours".  In fact, both models are almost equally capable of
being used in either the simple way or teh complex way.

> Modestly secure example: The keysafe runs on a single workstation,
> hardened similar to a firewall.  The only network connections are to
> a single port, which does the cryptographically secure key storing
> protocol.  When a key needs to be recovered, three trusted employees
> troop into the room (three passwords are required, these passwords
> are essentially the master key), and retrieve the needed key on a
> floppy.  Other than the authentication protocol, there is *no* policy
> embedded in the key-safe, which is to say, *any* policy the company
> wants to use is ok.  It may take the personal presence of the company
> president, it may take a signed statement from operations staff,
> whatever.  No policy is embedded in software, and no software to
> support software needs to be written.

Again, the same scenario plays equally well in the
extra-crypto-recipient model.

> I spoke too soon here.  The key-safe model is intrinsically more
> secure.

I don't see how.

--apb (Alan Barrett)