FreeBSD 2.2.1 on CDROM is shipping out of the U.S.A. with full DES

Loren James Rittle rittle at comm.mot.com
Fri May 9 15:46:57 PDT 1997

FYI,

I hope it is not premature but people are starting to take advantage
of the wonderful Patel ruling in the Bernstein v U.S. Department of
Justice case.  Cool!

Loren

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh at FreeBSD.org>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 2.2.1 on CDROM
Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 17:48:51 -0700
To: tonyg at OntheNet.com.au

Tony Griffiths wrote:
> I just received the 2.2.1 disk yesterday and it contains the DES stuff
> which has been missing on all previous disks I have received!

That's because it's now legal for us to export it.

An S.F. district judge recently ruled that exporting encryption is
legal, at least within her jurisdiction, and so our lawyer has OK'd our
taking advantage of this fact [that we fall geographically within her
sphere of influence] to export crypto.  I have always *wanted* to do
this, since shipping "crippled" CDs in order that I might export them
was abhorent to me, and now I can.

This also means that the unpacked CVS repository on SNAPshot CDs contain
full sources for des, kerberos etc and so forth and you can actually
_use_ the repository to check out a complete, unadulterated version of
FreeBSD at any release version from 2.0 onwards.

--
- Jordan Hubbard
  FreeBSD core team / Walnut Creek CDROM.