EVENT: Two big events you can be a part of at democracy.net on May 13!

Shabbir Safdar shabbir at democracy.net
Fri May 9 08:22:59 PDT 1997

     _                                                             _
  __| | ___ _ __ ___   ___   ___ _ __ __ _  ___ _   _   _ __   ___| |_
 / _` |/ _ \ '_ ` _ \ / _ \ / __| '__/ _` |/ __| | | | | '_ \ / _ \ __|
| (_| |  __/ | | | | | (_) | (__| | | (_| | (__| |_| |_| | | |  __/ |_
 \__,_|\___|_| |_| |_|\___/ \___|_|  \__,_|\___|\__, (_)_| |_|\___|\__|
                                                |___/
                         Government Without Walls

Update No.7              http:/www.democracy.net/              May 8 1997

DEMOCRACY.NET NEEDS YOUR HELP!

On Tuesday May 13, democracy.net will be testifying before the
Congressional Internet Caucus about the use of the Internet for
bringing citizen participation to the democratic process.

We occassionally get letters from all sorts of people who tell us how
much they appreciate democracy.net.  Help us tell your story.  Take a
moment to answer the questions below and send the results to
feedback at democracy.net!

1. Answer the following questions where appropriate.

   How old are you?
   Where are you when you participate in democracy.net events?  At home?
      Work?
   What does democracy.net allow you to do as a citizen that you couldn't do
     without it?
   Have you used material from the democracy.net website in an article, term
     paper, school paper, or book?
   What do you like most about democracy.net?
   Does democracy.net help you overcome other barriers to being an active
     citizen?
   How are the democracy.net archives useful to you?

2. Send the answers to feedback at democracy.net

INTERNET CAUCUS FIELD HEARING @ LIBRARY OF CONGRESS: TUE MAY 13,
    3-5PM EASTERN

One of the most crucial benefits of the Internet is it's ability to
allow government agencies to publish information to the public at a
very low cost.  Numerous examples of how the Internet has
revolutionized access to the democratic process and government exist
today, including:

* The Library of Congress' THOMAS service (http://thomas.loc.gov/) which
  makes available bills and speeches from the Congressional Record,

* The Federal Communications Commission's Daily Digest and Website
  (http://www.fcc.gov/) which allows citizens to track every issue
  moving through the agency's processes, and

* The National Aeronautics and Space Association's Website (http://www.nasa.gov)
  which has made available photos and other astronomical images available to the
  very taxpayers that funded them.

These projects and others like them have fundamentally changed the way
Americans today keep tabs on their government.  But there's still a
long way to go, and this Internet Caucus field hearing will examine
nine examples of how the Internet is being utilized to make the
government more accessible to Americans.

You can attend this event live by listening to the live audio feed,
submit questions to the Senators and Representatives from the Internet
Caucus for the witnesses who will be there, view live photos from the
hearing room, and discuss the issue with Internet users and
Congressional staffers in interactive chat.

         * Congressional Internet Caucus Hearing - How To Participate *

 DATE:      Tuesday, May 13, 1997
 TIME:      3-5 pm Eastern / noon-2 pm Pacific  (Event will last +/- 90 mins)
 LOCATION:  http://www.democracy.net

In advance of the hearing, please visit http://www.democracy.net for
background information on this issue, including the list of witnesses
who are testifying.  You can also submit questions in advance.

LIVE TOWN HALL MEETING WITH FCC CHAIRMAN REED HUNDT: TUESDAY MAY 13, 7PM ET

During the May 7th Universal Service Proceeding, Internet users submitted
their questions and comments via democracy.net.  On Tuesday May 13, FCC
Chairman Reed Hundt will join democracy.net for a live Virtual Town Hall
meeting to discuss the Universal Service proceeding, respond to Internet
users questions, and discuss other Internet-related issues before the FCC.

This is a great opportunity for Internet users to talk with one of the key
telecommunications policy makers.

       * Online Town Hall Meeting with FCC Commissioner Reed Hundt *
                         * How To Participate *

 DATE:      Tuesday, May 13, 1997
 TIME:      7:00 pm Eastern / 4:00 pm Pacific
 LOCATION:  http://www.democracy.net

Visit http://www.democracy.net/ in advance of the event to submit questions.

Additional information can be found at the FCC home page: http://www.fcc.gov

IN OUR ARCHIVE

* FCC UNIVERSAL SERVICE RULEMAKING FROM MAY 7TH NOW AVAILABLE IN OUR ARCHIVE!

     -FCC Chairman Reed Hundt at May 7th public meeting on Universal Service,
      broadcast by democracy.net!

 You can get the entire audio or text-based transcript of the meeting, or
 selected excerpts, at http://www.democracy.net/archive/05071997/

democracy.net is a joint project of the Center for Democracy and
Technology (CDT) and the Voters Telecommunications Watch (VTW) to explore
ways of enhancing citizen participation in the democratic process via
the Internet.

To this end, democracy.net hosts live, interactive cybercasts of
Congressional Hearings and online town hall meetings with key policy makers.

democracy.net is made possible through the generous support of
WebActive (http://www.webactive.com), Public Access Networks
(http://www.panix.com), the Democracy Network
(http://www.democracynet.org), Cheetah Cybercasting Service
(http://www.cheetahcast.com/) and DIGEX's ISP-TV
(http://isptv.digex.net).  More information about the democracy.net
project and its sponsors can be found at
http://www.democracy.net/about/

To receive democracy.net announcements automatically, please visit our
signup form at http://www.democracy.net/ or send mail to

                     majordomo at democracy.net

         with "subscribe events" in the body of the message.

To stop receiving announcements on the democracy.net "events" mailing list,
please send mail to majordomo at democracy.net with the phrase
"unsubscribe events" in the message body.

End update no.7                                                    05/08/1997