Stego Cash?

kqb at planet.net kqb at planet.net
Thu May 8 17:33:11 PDT 1997

Previous Subject: Re: Clinton Admin. to announce new Crypto regs

Rick Smith <smith at securecomputing.com> said:
> These "new" regulations "to be issued" are scrambling to catch up with
> previous and current practices. It doesn't change things at all.
>   . . .
> Export permission for strong crypto that only encrypts financial data is
> clearly a variant of this tradition.

This raises an intriguing possibility that I am sure is _not_
intended by the regulators.  If the cash is cheap enough, perhaps
it could be an economical carrier of encrypted messages.  What I have
in mind is somewhat analogous to papering your wall with dollar bills,
which clearly is uneconomical unless the dollar bills are really cheap.

What does it take to set up an offshore "remailer bank"?  Of course,
the digital cash it uses must be very INefficient, chock full of bit
bloat that hosts plenty of not-so-subliminal channels. 8-)

    Kevin Q. Brown
    kqb at planet.net