Spam Update/Cyber Promo attacked

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Wed May 7 21:34:18 PDT 1997

At 10:39 AM -0700 5/7/97, Robert Hettinga forwarded:
>The hackers have devised
>a system which sends millions of random "arp" requests to a router, which
>can disable the whole network for hours. This type of attack has never
>occurred before.

It is quite obvious to anyone who cares to give it even a moment's thought
that the currently installed Internet Protocols are still in the age of
cooperative communicators.  While some work, e.g. DNSSEC, has addressed
part of this problem, the bulk of it remains.

Now, if we could only go back 30 years and give C a reasonable string
model, we might be able to eliminate 50% of the known holes in Unix
security.

Bill Frantz       | God could make the world   | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in six days because he did | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | not have an installed base.| Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA