Bypassing the Digicash Patents

Alan Olsen alan at ctrl-alt-del.com
Sun May 4 23:41:13 PDT 1997

At 10:54 PM 5/4/97 -0700, Greg Broiles wrote:

>At 11:42 PM 5/4/97 EDT, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
>>Greg Broiles <gbroiles at netbox.com> writes:
>>> example, most merchants try to get location/contact information when they
>>> take a check, because there's some risk that the check will be returned
>>> (sometimes in as long as 2-3 weeks) after the customer and the
merchandise
>is
>>> long gone. If checks cleared instantly, this wouldn't be necessary - and
>>> think merchants would forego collecting this information (they do now,
for

>>As usual, Greg the C2Net shill writes total bullshit about things he
>>knows nothing about.  Try paying cash at Radio Shack, and see if they
>>ask for your name and address for their mailing list.  I guess Greg
>>is not the type to buy anything at Radio Shack.  What a fitting
>>employee for C2Net.

I really knew what specific actions caused people to have such a NASTY
opinion of C2net.  I have seen mistakes on their part, but nothing to warrent
the kind and amount of venom I have seen from people.  Maybe I missed
something somewhere...  (Or is this one of those "people who disagree with me
are <fill in insult here>"?)

>I avoid Radio Shack as a general rule, because I haven't been pleased with
>the quality of their products and I find their privacy-hostile behavior
>annoying. But when I have made purchases at Radio Shack, I've had no trouble
>with them if I say "This is a cash sale. You don't need my name or address."

I only go to Radio Shack as a LAST resort.  Every electronic part I have
bought from them has failed.  (Usually before instalation.)  About the only
thing I have ever bought from them that was worth what I paid for it was a
printer cable.

>But I understand you're considerably less courageous in person than you are
>from behind a terminal a few thousand miles away, so it's entirely possible
>that a mousy Radio Shack clerk asking for your name does pose a significant
>threat to your privacy. I had overlooked the "wimpy nerd" problem in my
>earlier message. Thanks for pointing out my oversight. In the future, please
>assume that when I mention a hypothetical consumer, I mean one of average or
>greater fortitude. Perhaps you can find a friend who's not scared of the
>Radio Shack clerks to make your purchases for you?

There seem to be more and more companies that ask nosey questions at the cash
register.  Toys R Us has been asking for a home phone number every time I
shop there.  (And every time I give them a random number.  They just ask for
a home phone munber.  I never say it is *MY* home phone number.)

I suggest memorizing the address and phone number of some local establishment
or business.  (In Vullis's case, the local methadone clinic might be in
order...)  Government buildings, stadiums, massage parlors and the like are
also useful.  When these people start finding out that the data is bogus,
maybe they will stop relying on it so much.  (Learning to lie to sales people
with a straight face it a useful skill.  Something I learned being a
programmer I guess...)

And if you think that is bad, you should hear what I tell the pollsters in
the mall... ]:>

---
|            "Mi Tio es infermo, pero la carretera es verde!"            |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano at teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan at ctrl-alt-del.com|