Bombs Away, from The Netly News Network

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 1 22:29:58 PDT 1997

At 11:54 AM 5/1/97 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>The Clinton administration escalated
>its assault on the Net this week, warning that it
>provides bomb-making recipes to anyone "with a modem"
>and proposing a new law to restrict such information.*
>"A member of the DoJ committee accessed a single web site
>on the World Wide Web and obtained the titles of 110
>different bomb-making texts."

OH, NO*!!!  THERE ARE BOOKSTORES ON THE NET!!!!
WITH BANNED BOOKS IN THEM!!!!  OH, NO!!!!

	[*Please excuse the shouting, I'm quoting FBI officials here :-]

The obvious bookstores to look at, if you want to freak the mundanes, are
	http://www.loompanics.com/ and http://www.paladin-press.com/
Yer basic Whole Extremist Catalogs.  Of course, if you _really_ want to
find books on explosives, you'll need to wait until the
Library of CONgress is on line, or the U.S.Army Field Manuals.
If you can't find explosives on the net, AltaVista's not doing its job.

My favorite net explosives site is the Hagley Museum in Wilmington Delaware,
about 105 miles from Declan's location in the Heart of Darkness.
It's the old duPont Gunpowder Mills, and was a popular field trip for
elementary school students when I was growing up.  We'd learn how to
make gunpowder, and learn about workplace safety and colonial industry,
and watch the ducks and geese on the Brandywine River (Is it still legal
to mention the name of a river named after Alcoholic Beverages on the net?
They also farmed tobacco near there!)

Pictures of Munitions Preparation Equipment are on the Dangerous Internet at
	http://www.hagley.lib.de.us/wheel.gif

[*During a previous call for censorship of bombs and bad language on the net,
I received email from a number of Senators, including Feinstein, containing
obscenity and terrorism instructions.  Don't remember if Biden replied.
Email autoresponders can be fun.]

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)