SAFE Bill is a Good Thing--"Crypto For The Masses"

Mac Norton mnorton at cavern.uark.edu
Thu May 1 20:22:01 PDT 1997

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Alan Davidson wrote:

> What SAFE does legalize is strong, non-escrow encryption in the products
> that are most widely used, in almost all countries worldwide.  Once
> *ordinary people* have strong crypto built in to the products they use
> every day, it will be much harder for governments to take it away or
> restrict it.

What's illegal about strong non-escrow encryption now?  Why
does it need to be "legalized"?  And wh will it be harder to
require escrow "once *ordinary people* have strong crypto"?
Doesn't seem to follow necessarily, does it?

> 2. CDT Does Not Support The Criminal Provision in SAFE

I don't get it.  CDT loudly supports the bill. The bill
contains the criminal provision.  I don't get it.  Do you?
MacN